PO Drawer 1210
Durant, OK 74701
This is a short bibliography compiled of some Choctaw records you might want to try and locate.
Available on microfilm from LDS Library:
- A Compilation of Records from the Choctaw Nation, Indian Territory, Oklahoma City, OK, by the Oklahoma Genealogical Society, C. 1976
- Oklahoma Marriage Records, Choctaw Nation, Indian Territory, by Ellen Tiffee.
Available at Gilcrease Museum Library, Tulsa OK:
- Choctaw Papers, Period 1846-1903.
- Edmund J. GARDNER Papers, Period early 1900's.
- Peter PITCHLYNN Papers, Period 1797 - 1929.
- Index Choctaw - Chickasaw Deeds & Allotments, Volumes 1 and 2, by Ed HASTAIN, Muskogee, I.T., 1900.
- Supplement to Choctaw - Chickasaw Deeds 7 Allotments, by Ed HASTAIN, Muskogee, OK 1910.
Available on microfilm from the National Archives, Fort Worth Branch:
- Choctaw Census before removal in 1831.
- Choctaw Emigration Roll, 1831-57.
- Choctaw Register of Claims for Reservations, 1834-57.
- Choctaw Cooper Census Roll, 1856.
- Choctaw Freedmen Roll, 1885.
- Choctaw Freedmen Roll, 1896.
- Choctaw Census 1896 w/index.
- Choctaw National Warrants (no date).
- Mississippi Choctaw indexes and testimony records 1899, w/additional evidence in 1901.
- Index to Mississippi Choctaw Children, undated.
- Choctaw Per Capita Payrolls, 1906 & 1913.
- Choctaw Annuity Payroll, 1917-29.
- Choctaw Miscellaneous court cases & Marriage licenses, 1888 - 1897.
- Choctaw Index to Enrollment Cases circa 1900.
- Proceedings of Identify, 1902 for Mississippi Choctaw's w/alpha index.
- Index to Choctaw Applications for Citizenship.
- Rejected Appeals for Choctaw Citizenship.
- Rolls & lists of parties admitted to Choctaw Citizenship in South McAlester & Ardmore, Indian Territory, 1900 w/a 1903 Roll & Index to Citizens.
- Choctaw Freedman Roll. 1902.
- Choctaw Indexes 1902-1907.
- Choctaw Land Lottery.
- Annuity Roll for Choctaw's at Murrow Indian Orphan Home, 1907-1908.
- Choctaw Applications for Per Capita Payments, 1910 - 1928.
- Records of the McAlester District Office, 1930 - 1947, Bureau of Indian Affairs. Case files on individual Choctaw Indians.
- Records of the Ardmore District Office, 1907 -1947, Bureau of Indian Affairs. Case files, correspondence, land transactions, closed probate cases, Mississippi Choctaw probates, case files on individual Choctaw's, registers for removal of restrictions, etc.
- Records of the Durant District Office, 1908 - 1949, Bureau of Indian Affairs. Proof of heirship cases probate cases, case files on individual Choctaw's, correspondence, etc.
- Records of the Hugo District Office, 1924-1936, Bureau of Indian Affairs. Case files of individual Choctaw's, School Census rolls, 1934-1936.
- Records of the Five Civilized Tribes, Choctaw Nation Schools, 1903 - 1953, Bureau of Indian Affairs. The Choctaw nation operated five academies, 190 day schools, 3 boarding schools and an orphan home.
- Records of the Muskogee Area Office, 1890 - 1960, Bureau of Indian Affairs, Daws Commission , land Allotments, leasing of lands, probate files, individual Choctaw account files.
- Records of the Jones Academy, Hartshorne, Choctaw Nation, 1901 - 1953. Records for the students & Staff, plus records of several other Choctaw nation Schools. Also contains records for the Mississippi Choctaw School in Philadelphia, Mississippi. Don't overlook this important resource as it contains records from other schools, even student files. Available on microfilm from LDS is a version, 1926 - 1952.
- Census of Choctaw's 1831.
- Census of Choctaw's and Creeks.
General Choctaw Resources:
- The Rise and Fall of the Choctaw Republic. 2nd Edition, Norman, Oklahoma, University of Oklahoma Press, 1972.
- The Removal of the Choctaw Indians. By Arthur H. DeROSIER, Jr., Knoxville, TN, University of Tennessee Press, 1970.
- The Five Civilized Tribes. By Grant FOREMAN, Norman, OK, University of Oklahoma Press, 1934, 1974.
- Records of the Choctaw & Chickasaw Agency (Muskogee Area Office). Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs Field Office Records, located at the National Archives.
- Records of the Choctaw Agency East. Records of the B. I. A. Field Office Records, also located at the National Archives.
- Records of the Five Civilized Tribes Agency (Muskogee Area Office). Records of the B. I. A. Field Office Records, located at the National Archives & the Fort Worth Branch of the National Archives.
- Records of the Choctaw Agency, 1824 - 1876. Available on microfilm at the National Archives, Washington, DC, M234, Roll Numbers 169 - 196.
- Records of the Union Agency, Muskogee Area, 1875 - 1880. Available on microfilm at the National Archives, Washington, DC, M234, Roll Numbers 865 - 877.
- Records of the Mississippi Choctaw, Philadelphia, Mississippi 1926 - 1939. Microfilm, National Archives, Washington, DC, M595, Roll Numbers 15, 41 - 42.
- Those who decend from early MS Territory: Records of Choctaw Trading Post St. Stephens, Mississippi Territory 1803 - 1816, Vol I and 1808 and 1810 Census, Washington County, Mississippi Territory, (Alabama) 1984. Available from Ben and Jean STRICKLAND, P. O. Box 5147, Moss Point, MS 39563.
Return to Native American Resource Center
The Genealogy Forum - Main Page
Beginners' Center | Internet Center | Message Boards
Surname Center | Reunion Center | File Library
Genealogy Forum News
Shop With Us
Genealogy Forum.com is a production of
Golden Gate Services, Inc. of Armada, Michigan.
© 1998 - 2005 All Rights Reserved. Brenda Jean Bova, President.
The Genealogy Forum is a member of the National Genealogical Society.
Tree logo provided by MeadPond Designs and is the trademark of GenealogyForum.com.
DREAM CATCHER by Jackie Bowen © 1998,
All Rights Reserved
© 2005 Some graphics By Carol, All Rights Reserved
If you have any questions or comments,
please contact GenealogyForum@aol.com