18th Indiana Infantry Regiment
- Organized at Indianapolis, Indian and mustered in August 16, 1861.
- Left the state for St. Louis, Mo., August 17, 1861.
- March to relief of Colonel Mulligan at Lexington, Mo., in September 1861.
- Action at Glasgow Mountain September 19, 1861.
- Attached to Fremont's Army of the West and Dept. of Missouri to January, 1862.
- 1st Brigade, 3rd Division, Army of Southwest Missouri, to May, 1862.
- 1st Division, Army of Southwest Missouri, to July, 1862.
- District of Eastern Arkansas, Dept. of Missouri, to October, 1862.
- 2nd Brigade,1st Division, District of Southeast Missouri, Dept. of Missouri, to March, 1863.
- 1st Brigade, 14th Division, 13th Army Corps, Army of the Tennessee, to July, 1863.
- 1st Brigade, 1st Division, 13th Army Corps, Army of the Tennessee, to August, 1863, and Dept. of the Gulf to June, 1864.
- 3rd Brigade, 2nd Division, 19th Army Corps, to August, 1864.
- 4th Brigade, 2nd Division, 19th Army Corps, Army of the Shenandoah, Middle Military Division, to December, 1864.
- 1st Brigade, 2nd Division, 19th Army Corps, to January, 1865.
- 1st Brigade. Grover's Division, District of Savannah, Ga., Dept. of the South, to August, 1865.
- Fremont's advance on Springfleld, Mo., September 22-October 15, 1861.
- March to Otterville, Mo., November, and duty there till January, 1862.
- Expedition to Milford December 15-19, 1861.
- Action at Shawnee Mound or Milford on the Blackwater, and capture of 1,300 prisoners December 18.
- Advance on Sprfngfield, Mo., January 25-February 14, 1862.
- Pursuit of Price to Cassvillc, Ark., Feb to Mar 1862.
- Battles of Pea Ridge, Ark., March 6-8.
- At Sulphur Rock till May, 1862.
- March to Batesville, thence to Helena, Ark., May 25-July 14, 1862.
- Duty at Helena till October, 1862.
- Ordered to Pilot Knob, Mo., and operations in Southeast Missouri till March 5, 1863.
- Moved to Helena, Ark., March 5, thence to Milliken's Bend, La., and duty there till April, 1863.
- Movement on Bruinsburg and turning Grand Gulf April 25-30, 1863.
- Battle of Port Gibson May 1, 1863.
- Battle of Champion's Hill May 16, 1863.
- Big Black River Bridge May 17, 1863.
- Siege of Vicksburg, Miss., May 18-July 4, 1863.
- Assaults on Vicksburg May 19 and 22.
- Advance on Jackson, Miss., July 4-10, 1863.
- Siege of Jackson July 10-17, 1863.
- Duty at Vicksburg till August 20, 1863.
- Ordered to New Orleans, La., August 20, 1863.
- Duty at Carrollton, Brashear City and Berwick till October, 1863.
- Western Louisiana Campaign October 3-November 8, 1863.
- Moved to New Orleans November 8, thence to Texas November 12, 1863.
- Capture of Mustang Island November 17, 1863.
- Fort Esperanza November 27-30, 1863.
- Duty at Mustang Island and Indianola till March, 1864.
- Regiment re-enlisted January 1.
- Near Baton Rouge, La., March 8-May 3, 1864.
- Veteran furlough and duty in Indiana June 4 to July 16, 1864.
- Moved to Bermuda Hundred, Virginia., July 16; thence to Washington, D. C., Augast 5, 1864.
- March to Shenandoah Valley August 10-19, 1864.
- Sheridan's Shenandoah Valley Campaign August to November, 1864.
- Battle of Opequan, Winchester, September 19.
- Fisher's Hill September 22.
- Battle of Cedar Creek October 19.
- Duty in the Shenandoah Valley till January, 1865.
- Moved to Baltimore, Md., thence to Savannah, Ga., January 6-20, 1865.
- Duty there till May 3. At Augusta, Ga., till June 7, 1865.
- Provost duty in Southern Georgia till August, 1865.
- Mustered out August 28, 1865.
18th Indiana Infantry Regimental Summary:
The Regiment, during it's existence, lost during service:
5 Officers and 68 Enlisted men killed and mortally wounded
1 Officer and 130 Enlisted men by disease
Information provided free of charge by GenealogyForum.com and its users.
If you wish to donate data to this FREE genealogy site, send an email to